Working for Ace Hotel has shaped my career for almost 20 years. I started on small projects at the Seattle location in the late 90's, began programming music for Palm Springs soon after it opened, and quickly took over the rest of the properties. I've also been throwing parties at all of the Ace hotels--everything from intimate dinners to dance riots. What a treat it was to be here at the first ever ground-up build in Chicago. Big thanks to Smilebooth (full gallery here) and Asrai Garden.
I travel a lot and always buy music on the road. I always listen to music on the road as well. Once a year, I take the best of the best of all of my discoveries and begin the daunting task of puzzling them all together into a cohesive DJ mix. This is the hardest creative work I do all year, and it is the thing I am most proud of. Enjoy. --Michael
DJing in 2017 took me all over the globe and provided lots of wonderful experiences. Here are four live recordings from some of those events.
We're kicking off 2018 right with some new videos from our crew. Check them out!
BRING ME TO ITALY AND I'LL MAKE SHIT POP OFF! the first 45 mins - hour or so is classics, the rest is all over the damn place. this was an interesting group... mix of cute, hip, kids from seattle mixed with family and friends from jersey... kinda the sweet spot if you ask me... pop alongside 80's alongside lesser know bangers and a healthy sprinkle of classics... this is a dance party monster... this wedding went OFF. shouts to Kate Kipley, Al, the person who lost their wallet, and nobody singing along to biz markie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
we made it to double digits! this time with our friend Jay Cox who is one of my favorite comedians, a guy that is effortlessly funny, sharp, and wonderful to be around. we talk about his career in events, getting ready to have a baby (spoiler alert: he already had a baby because i'm too busy to edit this shit being gluten free (i'm sensing a theme with our guests, fucking LA) and vaginal steaming, but that was really phil's trip. phil is on fire in this ep.
01. Cut Chemist - Intro
02. Totó la Momposina - La Verdolaga
03. Unknown - A Fugitive Instrumental
04. Dee Clark - Gloria
05. Alton Ellis - Sh-boom (Life Could Be A Dream)
06. The Jolly Boys - Back to Back (Belly to Belly)
07. Prince Buster - Dark Street
08. Johnnie Frierson - Trust In The Lord
09. Kilwa Jazz Band - Vilionitendia
10. Chin’s Calypso Sextet - Depression
11. David Bowie - How Lucky You Are
12. Desmond Dekkar - Beautiful And Dangerous
13. Buddy Holly - Gone (Alt. Take)
14. Hasil Adkins - The Banana Boat Song
15. Patsy Cline - Strange
16. Unknown - Kings of Mali
17. Willie Wilson - Suzanne
18. Bob Dylan - People Get Ready
19. Tim Hardin - It’ll Never Happen Again
20. Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou - Ballad Of The Spirits